Have you ever been on a date night where you knew you needed to talk about a hard thing but you didn’t quite know how to start? Same. It feels weird to just be like “hey yeah I know it’s date night and you just got your burger but I’m feeling depressed.” Sometimes you just need an icebreaker. A question to launch you into the deep topics that can wind around to the hard thing you need to talk about. So whether you talk about hard things on date night or not, hopefully you’ll find these questions helpful.
- How are you feeling about our infertility journey right now?
- I’m sorry I upset you with my response to ________. How could I have responded better?
- What kind of support are you needing from me right now?
- If money weren’t an issue, would you make any decisions differently regarding starting a family?
- I’ve noticed you have handled ______________ very well since we’ve started struggling with infertility. Is there any way you’ve seen me grow as well?
- Do you feel we are investing enough in our relationship outside of infertility?
- What do you feel like our next step should be in growing our family?
- On a scale of one to ten, where are you emotionally right now? How can we get that number higher?
- For Guys: What can I do to help you feel better while you’re on your period?
- For Girls: I know that sex gets monotonous while we’re trying so hard to get pregnant. How can I spice things up for you?
I sincerely hope that these questions will give you the confidence to embark on the conversations that will bring life and relief into your relationship. Because thriving is what we’re all about!
Casey Watkins has been married for eight years to her IT handyman. Together, they live in an old house on the east side of Indianapolis with their cat, Charlie. In their seven years of infertility, they’ve renovated their house, visited Iceland and baked a lot of cake. You can read more about Casey over on her blog, Chasing Cozy.